If you’re a skincare lover then I bet you have seen the phrase “skin cycling” all around social media platforms especially tiktok. The phrase was coined by a New York dermatologist, Whitney Bowe, MD. Skin cycling is a routine that allows the skin to rest for some days without the use of any products so it can repair itself. The aim of this is to slow down the application of skincare products on your skin. We have the habit of using different skincare products daily which does not allow our skin to rest and rejuvenate new cells because the surface of the skin is always covered with products.
3 Products Needed for Skin Cycling
- A retinoid
- An exfoliator
- A moisturizer (fragrance-free moisturizer)
A night-by-night process of How Skin Cycling Works
- Night 1: Exfoliation: On the first night, you will exfoliate the skin by cleaning and drying. This process removes all the dirt and dead cells on the surface of the skin. Exfoliation as the first step of the process is good because it allows products to penetrate well into the skin. After exfoliating the skin, a moisturizer is then applied to the skin.
- Night 2: Retinoids: These are a class of compounds that are derived from vitamin A that helps the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. Before application, it is important to clean and dry the skin thoroughly so it can penetrate well. Retinoids can be strong for sensitive skin so if anyone has a sensitive skin, it is advisable to use a moisturizer first.
- Night 3 and 4: This is the final step which involves avoiding the use of exfoliating acids and retinoids to allow the skin to recover new cells. Only apply moisturizer for hydration and nourishment of the skin.
Oil Divine Moisturizing Cleansing OilThis is one of the best Moisturizers in the market and can help in your skin cycling process. It is a two in one product because of its ability to be both a cleanser and a moisturizer. This product aids in removing makeup, sunscreen, and any form of pollution to the skin. The ingredients in this product includes; Sunflower Seed Oil, Chia Seed Oil, Apricot Seed Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Macadamia Oil, Frankincense Resin Extract, proprietary blend of essential oils, Vitamin E. We see here that even though this product serves as both a moisturizer and cleanser, the ingredients are just a few.
- Frankincense is an ingredient and this helps reduce redness
- Kunzea essential oil reduces the appearance of blemishes.
- Lemongrass essential oil serves as a natural toner to replenish the skin.
- Jojoba, Chia Seed, Apricot seed, grape seed and macadamia oils melts through the most stubborn makeup or any dirt trapped on the skin ensuring a fresh and glowing skin.
Visit oildivine.com to make a purchase.
How Can Skin Cycling Benefit Your Skin
We need to get rid of dead cells around our skin to ensure that it stays youthful and also protects the skin from infection and allergens. A healthy skin barrier allows products to penetrate well into the skin allowing the nutrients to be absorbed well. Exfoliating and retinol-based products can cause irritation and redness that is why it is important to have nights 3 and 4 which are the resting days.