Superfoods For Beautiful Skin
The saying "you are what you eat" holds regarding your health and well-being. It is especially the case when it comes to your skin - affected by the food and drink you consume.
Historically, herbs and food have been used for their medicinal properties to treat ailments and promote healing and well-being. Today, consuming a diet composed of greens, fruits, nuts and legumes, and even certain spices will guarantee you glowing skin since as crucial as it is to have an effective and targeted skincare routine, having a balanced and healthy diet is an integral part of achieving flawless skin.
The Right Foods
The right food will provide essential nourishment, repair cells, and fight and heal skin allergies and ailments. Today we break down some of the best food for clear, glowing skin on your face and body.
- Salmon; High in oil content, salmon is also packed full of beneficial fatty omega 3s. These fatty acids protect skin from sun exposure and increase cellular turnover to repair damaged skin for glowing and supple skin.
- Citrus Fruits; Citrus fruits are wondrous for the immune system and your skin. Known for its high vitamin C content, citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons, limes, and tangerines boost immunity and flush out toxins from our bodies. They also give relief from sunburns, and fight pigmentation and dark spots to promote an even skin tone.
- Blueberries; Blueberry extract is often advertised as a valuable antioxidant in skin care products, why not consume the fruit that it's extracted from? Blueberries are full of oil-balancing vitamin A, making them great in clearing up acne-prone skin. Its antioxidant contents fight and neutralize free radicals, preventing skin cells and collagen damage that cause wrinkles, dry skin, and other unfavorable skin conditions.
- Avocado; Avocados are a known health food and great for the skin; high in poly-, mono-saturated fatty acids, and antioxidant carotenoids that give you noticeably hydrated and healthy-looking skin thanks to increased cell regeneration and reduced redness and irritation.
- Walnuts; Rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts are filled with mood-enhancing vitamins B and E. It reduces cholesterol levels, promotes a healthy weight, and regenerates cells.
- Turmeric; Turmeric, aka Curcumin, is a highly anti-inflammatory antioxidant that promotes blood circulation. Widely used in Indian and South Asian food, turmeric shots and turmeric lattes can now be found worldwide with a cult following and can easily be incorporated into your diet.
- Cinnamon; Used in food to stimulate blood circulation and purification, cinnamon detoxifies the body from within and imparts a glow to our skin. It has antifungal, and antibacterial properties that keep acne at bay, which is why this fragrant and sweet spice should be added to your everyday diet.
- Honey; A sweet treat, honey is also a super skinfood. Ingested or applied topically, this flower extract helps fight acne and keep skin soft and hydrated. Its antioxidant works to fight wrinkles, spots, and dull skin.